No part of the country is safe from the scrutiny of Subsidy Tracker, the Good Jobs First database of economic development subsidy awards. With the addition of data from Nevada and Mississippi, all 50 states and the District of Columbia are now represented in the search engine.
Nevada and Mississippi are present thanks to successful open records requests and the discovery of an obscure report. For Mississippi we have unpublished data from the state’s Workforce Education training program, which reimburses training costs for companies such as Nissan, Tyson’s Food and private prison operators CCA and GEO Group. For Nevada we have unpublished data on the Train Employees Now program as well as data on business tax abatements and sales and use tax abatements that were listed in 2009 report by the state legislature’s fiscal analysis division that just came to our attention.
Our latest batch of additions also includes unpublished data from programs in Connecticut, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah (see below). Subsidy Tracker now contains company-specific data on more than 127,000 subsidy awards from 319 programs throughout the country. The depth of coverage still varies considerably from state to state, so we are continuing our push to obtain unpublished data on more and more subsidy programs.
New programs added
- Connecticut: Digital Media and Film Tax Credit (FY2009-FY2011)
- Mississippi: Workforce Education training program (FY2009-FY2011)
- Nevada: Business Tax Abatement (FY1999-FY2008)
- Nevada: Sales and Use Tax Abatement (FY1999-FY2008)
- Nevada: Train Employees Now (Apr2011-Mar2012)
- New York: Job Development Authority Direct Loan Program (2006-Mar2012)
- New York: Jobs Now (2006-Mar2012)
- New York: Manufacturing Assistance Program (2006-Mar2012)
- Oklahoma: Training for Industry (FY2008-FY2011)
- Texas: Skills Development Fund (FY2009-FY2011)
- Utah: Custom Fit Training Program (FY2009-FY2011)
New years added:
- Hawaii: Enterprise Zones (now 2007 and 2011)
- Virginia: Special Performance Grants (FY2009-FY2011)